Business environments, like our lives, are dynamic. External and internal forces can change the direction of a firm/life in a positive or in a negative way. These changes rarely occur overnight. Instead, these internal and external variables gradually develop into a changing force, which the company/person must adapt itself to; suggesting, that to some degree, the change can be lessened, and in fact, exploited. Entrepreneurs devote great time and effort on better understanding the type of environments in which their firm will compete. Strategy formulation and planning for the change will help the company better exploit them. But, can these same principles be applied in life?
Many changes have occurred in my life. Most, if not all of them, I was not prepared for. One big change, was me going to New York. Internally, I wanted a change; and externally, the opportunity existed... College, as it got more challenging, got more exciting to me. The experience, knowledge, wisdom gained from the professors and students is immeasurable. But, school to me is a tool. The education acquired in school will allow me to further pursue my goals. Money, while it is important (very), I shouldn't have to pursue it. If I am passionate about something, then it should fulfill me financially, but also, in other, maybe more important ways.
Three goals for the next five years that I have are; one, start my own business; Two, help friends and family develop business opportunities; and three, be in a large corporation, and help them implement strategic decisions. All of these are related, in that they all have to do with entrepreneurship. One difference though is in size and scope. Both alternatives are attractive to entrepreneurs. Both can be rewarding and fulfilling. The one main goal that I have in the next five years, is to be in a position to use the skills acquired from my education to help companies and people grow.
Of course, accomplishing this will not be easy; but I am headed in the right direction, and I plan to pursue my academic career further. School, is not easy, but it can be exciting. Though I have not always planned ahead, I feel lucky to be where I am now. To some, our goals would seem unreal and unachievable, but to us, it is now a possibility. We all come from different backgrounds, and so on, but the one common denominator that we all have, is education. So while you sleep, I'm studying.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
9 comments:
Its true that your family always comes first and you should definitely try to help your friends out whenever possible. You wrote though, that you want to help your family and friends in their business opportunites. I'm not sure what you meant by that, but in my opinion its never a good idea to go into business with your family and maybe even friends. I think that its two things that should be separated because you don't want personal relationships getting in the way of making money. Also you don't want your business getting in the way of your family since conflicts tend to arise between business partners.
In response to Lenny's post regarding it's not a good idea to help your family and friends in business opportunities. I don't agree.
I believe a true entrepreneur sees risks and opportunities where others don't. If a family member or friend seeks advice, then they are simply leveraging YOUR business knowledge to guide them. To me, there's nothing wrong with that. In the simplest sense, it's mentoring.
There's also no statistical facts that can back up your claim. Actually, family and friends are the most common source of business advice and partnership. Take a look at Google, two friends from Stanford University working in their first "office" (garage). Similarly, Microsoft's Bill Gates and current CEO Steve Ballmer. The largest retail chain in the U.S--Walmart, founded and now lead by family members.
On a separate note, good post. Although making money IS important to sustain your life and family, to some entrepreneurs its secondary. Take a look at business mogul Russell Simmons. He now establishes business ventures for the purpose of CREATING JOBS for others.
http://www.inc.com/magazine/20070601/ask-the-bigwig.html
In response to andy's comment, Russell Simmons is a clown.
Marisol, would you elaborate on your comment as to why Russell Simmons is a "clown". In terms of what--his personal or business affairs?
I'm talking business.
Like him or not, he's a self-made entrepreneur. Maybe its the fact that he attended a CUNY school or the idea that he dropped his studies on a whim (like Bill Gates) to pursue entrepreneurship endeavors (undertook HUGE risk). But to me these actions speak loudly, it meant he believed in what he wanted to accomplish-- so much so, he DROPPED higher education to attain it.
All matters aside, you CAN'T deny his entrepreneurial success.
Sure Russell Simmons is a good example of a successful entrepreneur. He’s paid. He can spend his free time doing yoga and relaxing in his garden with Buddha statues. But how did Simmons get the money to support his extravagant life-style? By assisting in the commercialization and demise of hip hop. This is what Simmons answered in an NPR interview when asked what stood out to him as a “magical moment in hip hop…”
“…[New York City's Madison Square] Garden. I remember bringing the head of Adidas, and Run says 'Hold your sneakers in the air!' and everyone held up their shell-toed Adidas. That was the beginning of the endorsement process, and everyone got involved in trying to use hip-hop to sell their product. But when everyone held their Adidas in the air, it was crazy. It was a great image.”
Are you kidding me?!? He’s such a sell-out. In my opinion a successful entrepreneur doesn’t sell out his own people to get his fame and fortune. I also recommend Beyond Beats and Rhymes, a documentary directed by Byron Hurt, where you can see Russell Simmons for what he really is…a clown.
I'm a bit confused by your goals. It sounds like it conflicts with each other somewhat. You have down that you want to start your own business while also being in a large corporation implementing strategic decisions.
I'm assuming that would mean you'd want to open a consulting business for businesses. Usually it's not feasible to both manage one company and also be a managing director in another. But you might have the skills to do. It sounds a little tough, but hopefully it'll work out.
I think everyone wants to own his/her business or helping family business. It is my goal too.
Go to school can teach you only the basic knowledges. So have you plan for to go to work for a company to learn some real techniques that the are using by the real business world then after some time you go to help your friends or family business?
This blog started becasue it was an assigned project for business policy class, but with the help of friends, I soon realized its potential. With each of your contributions, it is progressing further. Your ideas and opinions further promote the informational aspect that I want it to be; bringing a broad spectrum of ideas here, and sorting out what is useful for our specific goal, whatever that may be. Most of my informational links are business related, but I plan to put also other related websites that can affect business, and the environments they operate in. This is not only a site about business, but this is a site for new and different ideas to come together. My ideas are mine, i already know them, what I need is new ideas. Again, I appreciate your comments, and look forward to more.
I really appreciate your post and it was superb .Thanks for sharing.I would like to hear more about this in future.
Post a Comment